What you need to know about SNAP during the government shutdown (whether you’re a recipient or are considering applying):
- The federal government has been reopened temporarily till February 15. In the bill to reopen the government, the USDA will be allowed to pay out SNAP benefits through April, even if funding isn't extended beyond Feb. 15.
- Kansas will issue February SNAP benefits early, on or before January 20th. This is not an additional payment, but simply the early issuance of your February benefits. It is likely no additional SNAP benefits will be disbursed in February. If the federal shutdown continues into March, it is unclear whether additional SNAP disbursements will be made until the shutdown is resolved.
- If you are planning to apply for SNAP, you should do so as soon as possible.
- Be aware of potential scam attempts related to SNAP benefits. The Department for Children and Families (DCF) will not ask for your social security number over the phone. If you are contacted by someone you suspect is scamming you related to your public benefits, contact DCF right away and report it.
- The federal shutdown is creating a lot of uncertainty around the administration of public benefits. This is what we know for now, but this is subject to change. We will update this information when we know more. If you have any questions on how your SNAP benefits may be impacted by the shutdown that are not answered above, please contact your local DCF Service Center (www.dcf.ks.gov/DCFContacts/).
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also know as food assistance, helps eligible Kansans buy the food they need to grow strong.
Help others navigate the application by hosting a SNAP outreach workshop. Email Joey at firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
Join the Hunger Action Team
The Hunger Action Team is dedicated to taking advocacy actions on hunger issues. Join the team and use your voice for food justice.
Thank you to the Kansas Health Foundation, the Food Research and Action Center, and MAZON for supporting this work.